Pages

Craftybrens Embroidered Toppers

Craftybrens Embroidered Toppers
Craftybrens Embellishments

Monday 23 November 2009

SNIP-IT

Being I like reading or hearing other peoples happings I thought it might be good to have a weekly SNIP-IT from my memories, It might give you a laugh or a groan.
My first SNIP-IT.
"I knew from an early age I was going to be a crafter, wether this is because in those days, so many years ago, we had to learn crafts or wether we actually wanted to learn, I don't know. But I was aged 6 years old and my older sister, 9 years, was teaching me a fairisle pattern on mittens, just a little snowflake. Oh I could easily knit and purl by then but how to add patterns was a bit beyond me. I had got to the pattern row and was waiting and waiting to be shown what to do, I waited forever (well it seemed forever), my sister was being so horrid telling me " in a minute", she loved getting the upper hand with me, still does I suppose, well I got so fed up I whipped the stitches from the needle and threw it under the beautility sideboard.
Why do I remember this incident, guilt I suppose and the regret of never having a pair of mittens as a child with a snowflake on. I never finished them you see, I couldn't get all the stitches back on the needles. It was years later as an adult that I finally learnt fairisle.
But patients I learnt at the age of 6years old.

2 comments:

  1. Never mind Bren - I really think 6 is a bit young to attempt fairisle. Pity you didn't get round to it later though. I have a pair of fairisle gloves still that I made at lreaster thirty years ago. (And I wear them.)
    Beryl xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous idea Bren. I think I would have done the same thing when I was six, trouble is I'm an only child and I think Mum would have not been amused lol. I didn't master fairisle until after I became a mum
    Beryl x

    ReplyDelete